The indicator at a glanceIndicator 6.5.2 tracks the percentage of transboundary basin area within a country that has an operational arrangement for water cooperation.
An arrangement for water cooperation is a bilateral or multilateral treaty, convention, agreement or other formal arrangement between riparian countries that provides a framework for cooperation.
For the arrangement to be considered operational, the following criteria need to be fulfilled:
- Existence of a joint body
- Regular, formal communication between riparian countries (at least once a year)
- Joint or coordinated management plans or objectives
- Regular exchange of data and information (at least once a year)
Data are commonly compiled by relevant national line ministries and institutions (e.g. for Water, Environment, Natural Resources, Hydrology, Geology).
Available support 2019-2022UNECE and UNESCO are the custodians of indicator 6.5.2. For any inquiries about available support, please contact their helpdesk.
Guidance on data collection and reporting
- Monitoring methodology (updated version available in Spring 2020)
- Template for reporting (available in Spring 2020)
- Guidance on reporting (available in Spring 2020)
- Data collection process and timeline
- Regional workshops
- Presentations at global intergovernmental meetings and sessions in various fora
Data and progress reporting